CAN Community Health is opening a new Sexual Transmitted Disease clinic in Arlington, Texas this fall. CAN is the 2nd largest provider of HIV services in the United States. Become part of our growing team of medical professionals. Learn more by checking our website at .
Statement of Purpose: The Physician Extender/Patient Care Coordinator will examine patients, take medical histories, maintain patient records, identify health risk factors, prescribe medications, and make referrals and other wise treat health conditions. The practitioner may focus on patient wellness and disease prevention and may provide health educational services or counsel patients on how to make healthy lifestyle choices.
Essential Responsibilities for Clinical Care: Physician Extender (APRN or PA)
1. Perform clinical assessment on new patients, consult to and follow up on patients at the clinic and pop-up clinic.
2. Document patients’ physical assessments, medical histories, and progress reports under 24-hours.
3. Render assistance in performing paperwork.
4. Retrieve and evaluate patient’s medical results, including pathology and lab results, and reports on x-ray.
5. Prescribes appropriate pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatment modalities.
6. Monitor the effectiveness of interventions.
7. Assess and determine patients’ status for symptoms, toxicities, and side effects.
8. Provide training to other staff members.
9. Establish and maintain relationships with MOU pop-up clinic partners.
10. Establish and maintain relationships with CAN’s primary rapid start provider, as well as provider partnerships throughout New Jersey.
11. Assist in implementing clinical protocols.
12. Provides clinical care from assigned location.
13. Assist with new project implementation, like telemedicine, mobile units, as designated by the Chief Medical Officer.
Secondary Tasks: Physician Extender (APRN or PA)
- Maintains up to date knowledge of laws and regulations impacting practice of medicine.
- Ensures confidentiality regarding patient/client and/or family in accordance with HIPAA and other privacy and security regulations, professional, and departmental standards.
- Promotes, practices and role models CAN’s mission and values, following policies and procedures.
- Works effectively and professionally with a diverse population treating all staff, patients and clients with respect at all times.
Responsible To: Chief Medical Officer and Collaborating Physician
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: Physician Extender (APRN or PA)
1. Ability to think and complete work assignments on time, independently, with minimal guidance.
2. Flexibility in traveling, setting up, and providing medical care.
3. Ability to organize priorities and perform multiple tasks simultaneously, working with constant interruptions.
4. Strong knowledge of medical terminology including lab orders and results, medical office procedures and EMR system. HIV knowledge a plus.
5. Strong analytical thinking, decision making, and problem-solving skills.
6. Exercises consistently sound judgement.
7. Ability to adapt to change.
8. Able to demonstrate tact and good judgement in interactions with providers and other departments.
9. Able to demonstrate tact and organizational values when dealing with diverse populations.
10. Excellent office skills, including data entry and Microsoft Office and Outlook.
11. Ability to be highly organized and focused on details and accuracy.
12. Ability to utilize problem solving techniques along with strong intuitive and critical thinking skills.
13. Good communication and interpersonal skills.
14. Excellent time management skills with the ability to plan to maintain smooth work flow.
Education/Professional: Physician Extender (APRN or PA)
1. Graduate of an accredited Physician Extender Program (either Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant)
2. Current Advance Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) licensure or Physician Assistant (PA) licensure.
3. Infectious Disease, STD and HIV experience preferred.
4. IV experience favored.
Physical Requirements: Physician Extender (APRN or PA)
1. Neat, professional appearance
2. MEDIUM- Exerts up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
3. Involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking and standing for brief periods of time.
4. Requires expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken word, visual and auditory acuity.
Machines/Equipment & Tools Used: Physician Extender (APRN or PA)
1. Computer Equipment
2. Multi-line Telephone
3. Fax & Other Business Machines / Technology
4. Current driver’s license. Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Other Duties: Physician Extender (APRN or PA)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
CAN is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Physician Extender (APRN or PA) – Colleyville, Texas