Are you interested in working for a company that fosters growth opportunities, community involvement and a team oriented atmosphere? ClarkDietrich fosters a work-life balance and offers competitive compensation and benefits. Join a team that is STRONGER THAN STEEL℠, by applying to become a Director of Research at our R&D Lab in West Chester, OH location.
Director of Research has the responsibility for the overall performance and operating authority of ClarkDietrich Research. (CDR) Candidate is responsible for office/division coordination, staffing; department, interdepartmental, and company workflow; division financials, employee relationships, and corporate coordination.
Candidate must have a background managing Research, Product Development, and/or Structural Engineering. They must possess a degree in engineering or a related field. Candidate shall have demonstrated leadership skills. Ideal candidate for this position is one who excels in leading in a team environment; can anticipate, identify, and guide through challenges that may otherwise prevent achievement of a division or company goal; can perform and direct others in research related tasks; not be easily overwhelmed; excellent time manager; communicates effectively in all mediums including verbal, written, and calculations; possesses a graduate degree in business or engineering management or equivalent experience. Candidate must be goal oriented, solution driven, ethically strong, financially responsible, and willing to perform team tasks within and outside of traditional research and development management roles in order to deliver divisional and company goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Management of Research and Product Development
* Directs staff to a unified vision and goal for research and development.
* Provides or directs R&D related testing and other
* Provides or directs training effort for R&D.
* Provide support to Engineering Services division (CDES).
* Maintains relationship with the Company’s clients/customers
* Increases the specification of the Company through development of new products
* Aids division staff to resolve project challenges and deadlines to the satisfaction of the client
* Removes obstacles and challenges to ensure division goals are maintained and projects are delivered on time, within budget.
* Participates in corporate level planning and other meetings, CDES planning meetings, and other national business planning meetings and industry trade shows
* Establishes yearly budget for R&D expenditures and reports monthly/quarterly progress for division
* Sets internal benchmarks & metrics for R&D.
* Identifies and evaluates new product opportunities
* Research product applicability, production costs, return on investments, and other justifications for product
* Develops products through testing, code compliance, and client
* Provides the Marketing group with guidance on all technical claims and statements to assure the Company’s products are correctly represented and are consistent with the appropriate codes and performance
Division Staff Supervision
* Sets, maintains, and revises goals for
* Provides performance reviews of department staff
* Ensures Company policies are followed by all departmental staff.
* Understands, follows, and demonstrates department compliance of all Human Resource related laws, regulations, and Company rules related to: health, safety, harassment, and ethics.
* Reports non-compliance.
* Must have thorough knowledge of structural engineering, specifically proficiency in cold- formed steel
* Flexibility in design with the ability to solve problems with various
* Experience with structural design
* Reads and accurately interpret
* Understands, follows, and directs others in formal testing procedures for R&D.
* Thorough knowledge of strength of materials and expected behaviors to anticipate and properly plan R&D
* Effectively utilizes engineering software to predict behaviors of materials and products.
* Can effectively explain engineering principles and procedures to other
* Can explain engineering rational to other engineers, contractors, architects, material dealers, and sales
* Effectively prepares written correspondence in a professional
* Effectively presents verbal presentations.
* Sets vision for division that supports corporate and division
* Trouble shoots and anticipates obstacles to avoid or remove prior to reaching critical
* Maintains a high level of ethical
* Works effectively with other Company divisions/departments.
* Ability to manage R&D and direct staff effectively to avoid project conflicts and meet project deadlines.
* Maintains an exceptional rapport with internal and external clients and co-workers.
* Builds on demonstrated skill set to reach project completion and office goals through a positive team spirit and willingness to perform all division tasks required to complete projects to the satisfaction of the client.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
* Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
* Master’s Degree in Business, Management, or Engineering related field.
* Experience: a combination of structural engineering, structural project management, R&D and other departmental management for a total of 10+ years of experience, with an emphasis given to departmental management experience.
* Ability to analyze complex data
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS
* Professional Engineer certification (P.E) is a benefit, but not mandatory.
* Position requires some travel (
Director of Research – West Chester, Ohio