General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
The DIII-D National Fusion Facility is the U.S.’s principal magnetically confined fusion research facility. The DIII-D mission is to generate scientific understanding of the burning plasma state in preparation for ITER and for the development of self-driven steady-state operation for future fusion reactors. Scientific understanding is formed from experimental investigations that utilize a world-leading suite of plasma diagnostics to measure properties of the plasmas created in the DIII-D tokamak.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Software Developer in the Energy group at our Torrey Pines, CA office. Under general supervision and with regular review, this position researches, designs, develops and/or modifies enterprise-wide end-user, system level, and data management software applications. Contributes in planning of application development and deployment as well as responsible for meeting software compliance standards. Evaluates integration of software applications with the overall computing environment. Responsible for documentation, testing, maintenance, and software updates. Communicates with domain experts, users, and management throughout the software development lifecycle.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Develop and maintain real-time plasma control and data acquisition systems software in support of fusion energy science research for the DIII-D National Fusion Facility and domestic and foreign collaborators.
* Develop software interfaces to various types of hardware used for control, data acquisition and real-time networking.
* Maintain and upgrade in-house archive and retrieval libraries used to manage and store raw experimental data collected from DIII-D diagnostic systems.
* Determines requirements/approaches/solutions for projects for enterprise software development within the broader organizational scope. Software development encompasses end-user, system level, and data management applications.
* Formulate detailed plans and implements software solutions including language, coding, platform, resource requirements, testing and documentation for a wide variety of applications including scientific simulation, large-scale data management, and scientific analysis.
* Implementation of enterprise applications including coding, testing, and documentation with cross-platform compliance
* Code maintenance of enterprise solutions including debugging and updating to ensure viability in an evolving environment.
* Assist in planning for future applications based on new developments in computer technology. Responsibilities including network programming, application development & testing, user support, and long-term design & planning of future computational capability for the DIII-D National Fusion Facility.
* Communicate with the software developer group, with users, and with management as well as with the wider community through the publishing and presentation of technical papers.
* The successful applicant will join an IT group supporting several large scientific projects and thus requires a person with initiative and willingness to take on responsibility for development tasks, and proactively assist the scientific users with their needs.
* Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
* Typically requires a bachelors or masters degree in computer science, information systems or related discipline and two or more years progressive software development experience with a bachelors degree. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
* Experience in C/C++, OO programming/analysis/design, and code optimization.
* Experience in the Linux environment including tools for debugging, profiling and version control.
* Good communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with others.
* Ability to effectively support the end user in a large group environment.
* Ability to organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level and to provide solutions to a range of highly complex technical problems.
* Customer focused, must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment, and able to work extended hours and travel as required.
* Preferred Qualifications:
* Has demonstrated capability to work and interact with scientists, engineers and managers from different institutions both domestic and international.
* Experience with Fortran, Python, SQL, Unix Shells, and GPU-based programming
* Experience with Real-Time Operating Systems and application development for Infiniband based networks.
* Experience with control and data acquisition systems and/or microcontrollers and embedded applications.
* Experience with GUI development under Linux OS including Qt based applications.
* Experience with software lifecycle development including specification, design, implementation, testing, and maintenance.
* Must have a complete understanding of software development concepts, principles, and theory and demonstrate complete understanding and application of programming and analysis concepts.
I. General Summary Under limited supervision gathers and analyzes user needs for developing and modifying clinical or business applications in...Apply For This Job
You are applying for work with a franchisee of Taco Bell, not Taco Bell Corp. or any of its affiliates....Apply For This Job
Discover. A brighter future. With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three...Apply For This Job
Build your skillset with the fastest employer of emerging tech talent in the U.S. – Revature. We are hiring over...Apply For This Job
Window Service Clerk:Join the US Postal Service within two weeks and get a starting bonus of up to $1,000. No...Apply For This Job
OVERVIEW Experience a place of energy, passion, and excitement. A place where the joy of discovery and uncommon artistry blend...Apply For This Job
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously.
|cookielawinfo-checbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|
Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features.
Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.
Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads.
Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet.